ST. JOSEPH – Missouri Western Women’s Basketball (7-7, 2-3 MIAA) lost for the first time in its last four home games on Wednesday. Washburn outscored the Griffons by 12 in the second quarter and never looked back, defeating the Griffons 65-54.
- Washburn held a 14-12 lead after a back-and-forth first quarter.
- The second quarter turned out to be the difference in the game. Washburn shot 63 percent and scored 23 points to take a 14-point lead into halftime.
- Brittany Atkins and Jessica Davies paced the Griffons in the first half, combining for 15 points on 7-11 shooting.
- The Griffons used a 10-2 run to cut the deficit to single digits with 3:29 remaining in the fourth quarter.
- Neither team managed to score a field goal in the final three minutes.
- The Griffons outscored the Ichabods 31-28 in the second half.
- Atkins led the Griffons in scoring with 16 points on 50 percent shooting.
- Davie finished with 11 points and a game-high nine rebounds.
- Katrina Roenfeldt scored all 11 of her points in her second half.
- Griffon Women’s Basketball will host No. 23 Emporia State (11-3, 2-2 MIAA) on Saturday, Jan. 12.
- The Hornets beat Northwest Missouri 54-41 on Wednesday.
— MWSU Athletics —