The Northwest Missouri State University women’s basketball season opened the 2017-18 season on Friday against Ouachita Baptist at the Meyer Sports Center in Bolivar, Mo.
– The Bearcats fell to the Tigers, 68-54. Northwest is now 0-1 while OBU improves to 1-0.
– Mallory McAndrews had a team-high 13 points, hitting four times from beyond the arc.
Key Northwest Statistics
– Ouachita Baptist held a 31-25 lead at the break. The Bearcats led after the first quarter, 19-16.
– Northwest hit eight total three pointers in the game and grabbed 40 rebounds.
– The Bearcat defense forced 16 OBU turnovers as McAndrews led the way with a pair of steals.
– Mallory McConkey had 11 points and five rebounds in her first collegiate game.
– Tanya Meyer recorded her first double-double of the season, grabbing 11 rebounds to go along with 10 points and a steal.
Key Northwest Sequence
– The Bearcats came out of the gate strong, jumping out to an early 19-6 lead. Kylie Coleman got things started with her first collegiate basket on Northwest’s first possession. Meyer hit a layup and Jaelyn Haggard knocked down a three to make it 7-0 Bearcats. After the Tigers got a pair of buckets, Meyer converted an and-one to make it a 10-4 ballgame. OBU would score again but Northwest hit its next three buckets, all from beyond the arc. McConkey got it started and then McAndrews hit threes on back-to-back possessions to make it 19-6, Northwest.
– Northwest will take on Henderson State on Saturday at noon in Bolivar, Mo.
— Northwest Athletics —