Crumbly Burger in St. Joseph was evacuated Friday after a kitchen fire.
Fire Inspector Steve Henrichson with the St. Joseph Fire Department said there was fire and smoke in the back room of the building, located at 2701 Frederick. He said the fire was ruled accidental and Crumbly Burger will be closed under further notice for repairs.
“It was a malfunction of the vent system, grease” Henrichson said. “There was a fire between that and the outside wall.”
Henrichson said there was $25,000 to $30,000 worth of fire damage. The owner was treated for fire byproduct/smoke inhalation after Henrichson said she tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.
“They got what they could see out but it was inside one of the walls,” Henrichson said.
Traffic in the area of Frederick and Ashland was slowed and part of Ashland was closed while crews were on scene. Travel in the area has resumed as normal.