Gas Leak, Evacuations Caused By Subcontractor

Posted 1 year ago

By John P Tretbar

KCFD
A natural gas leak that forced evacuations in Kansas City was caused by a subcontractor installing conduit for fiber-optic lines on behalf of Google Fiber.

Fire officials said residents in homes and apartments in the area were evacuated Saturday afternoon and allowed back in their homes Saturday evening. No injuries were reported.

 

Google Fiber, which is building its fiber optic network in the area, said in a statement Sunday that the subcontractor damaged a gas line. The statement says the problem was identified quickly and the gas line was closed and capped.

Google Fiber also apologized for “any inconvenience and worry this may have caused.”

The area is southeast of where an apparent gas line rupture caused an explosion that destroyed a restaurant, killed one person and injured several others last month.


  • HmmM

    Maybe they should look into a different contractor

    Current score: 1
    • Eggpeg

      Just wondering if the damaged line was above or below ground, and if below if the subcontractor had the area marked in accordance with Dig-rite.

      Current score: 0